Our full service stores carry a complete line of birding products such as seed,
suet, feeders, baths, houses, books, hardware, and garden accessories. We also
promote nature conservation through Cornell University's Laboratory of
Ornithology and local programs in schools, garden clubs and churches as well as
forming alliances with local nature oriented institutions such as park
districts, nature centers and birding clubs.
Where it all Began
Founded by George Petrides Sr., the Wild Bird Center retail concept started in
1985 with a single store in Cabin John, Md., a suburb of Washington, D.C. Now a
leading national retail franchise, headquartered in Glen Echo, Md. and just one
mile from the original store, our franchise system has grown to nearly 100 Wild
Bird Center and Wild Bird Crossing stores serving communities and the birding
hobby throughout the United States and Canada.
The national headquarters of the Wild Bird Centers of America, Inc., located in
Glen Echo, Maryland, a suburb of Washington, DC, offers a strong and dedicated
franchise system. It supports all of our stores in both the United States and
The Best of Business and Nature
With a franchise from the Wild Bird Centers of America, Inc., you will make a
positive difference in your community, doing work you find meaningful and
satisfying. You'll be your own boss and enjoy mixing business with your passion
for birds and nature.
Whether you're a backyard birdwatcher or an experienced naturalist, you'll enjoy
the rewards of teaching others more about the environment that surrounds us. We
are here to help you take a professional, business-like approach to making your
dream a reality.
Check out these feather-raising facts:
- A 2001 survey by the Department of Interior, the "National Survey of
Fishing, Hunting and Wildlife-Associated Recreation", confirmed that watching
and feeding wild birds is one of the most popular hobbies in North America.
- Over 54 million Americans annually spend:
- $3,100,000,000 for feeding wild birds and other wildlife
- $732,000,000 for houses, feeders, nest boxes and baths
- $507,000,000 for optics, including binoculars and spotting scopes
- $331,000,000 for wildlife-related books and magazines
We offer a Great Support System
Our unique combination of loyalty-building products, information and inspiration
establishes each store franchise as a resource embraced by the community it
serves. Our stores achieve outstanding levels of repeat business, customer
referrals and media attention.
Wild Bird Centers are supported by an experienced Home Office team that provides
financial, retail, marketing and business advice as required. These services
assist our stores to be more likely to succeed in a competitive market. We have
an established trade dress and other store standards, making our stores
consistently attractive and a popular, relaxing place for customers to shop.
Some of our recognitions include:
- Bond's Magazine 2001 - Top 50 Retail Franchises
- Entrepreneur Magazine
- 2002 & 2003 - Annual Franchise 500
- 2002 - America's Top Business Opportunity
- 1996 and 1997 - Annual Franchise 500
- 1995 - Annual Franchise 500 "Top 30 New Franchises"
- Entrepreneur International 1998 - "America's Top 31 Retail Franchises,"
- Success Magazine
- 1995 - "Franchise Gold 100," ranked 24
- 1996 - "Franchise Gold 100," ranked 33
- 1998 - "Franchise Gold 100," ranked 42
- 2004 Calendar Marketing Association's National Calendar Awards
- 2003 - Father's Day & Seed Sale Direct Mail Promotion
- George Petrides, Sr. 1996 Finalist Greater Washington "Entrepreneur of the
- Member of the Audubon Naturalist Society
- Trustee of the Wild Bird Feeding Industry Research Foundation
- Project Leader of "Project WILDBIRD1" funded by WBFI Research Foundation
- Chairman of the WBFI Retail Committee
Love What You do and Share it with Others
In addition to sharing your birding hobby with others, our stores are also
excellent resources to educate your community about nature. At any Wild Bird
Center store, customers can learn about local habitat, birding and many aspects
of nature's wonders. Additionally, our company's recent corporate partnership
with the Cornell Lab of Ornithology has opened unprecedented access to the
leading birding research for all of our stores.